What is Lortab?
Lortab is a combination medicine that consists of hydrocodone and acetaminophen. It helps treat moderate to severe pain. Hydrocodone/acetaminophen is available in multiple generic and brand versions. You can buy Lortab online with a prescription.
- Do not use Lortab in high amounts or longer than prescribed. Narcotic pain medicines may be habit-forming, even at regular doses. Never share this medicine with anyone with a history of drug abuse or addiction.
- Hydrocodone may be habit-forming. Never give Lortab to anyone else, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Misuse of narcotics can result in addiction, overdose, or death.
- Do not take Lortab if you have used MAO inhibitors in the previous 14 days. The MAO inhibitors include isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue injection, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, or tranylcypromine.
- An overdose of acetaminophen may damage your liver or cause death. If you have itching, loss of appetite, pain in your upper stomach, dark urine, or jaundice, call your doctor immediately.
- Stop taking Lortab and contact your doctor immediately if you develop skin redness or a rash that spreads and causes blistering and peeling.
What to know before taking Lortab?
You should not take Lortab if you are allergic to acetaminophen (Tylenol) or hydrocodone or have recently used sedatives, alcohol, tranquilizers, or other narcotic medications.
Do not use Lortab if you have already taken an MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days. Taking this medicine with MAO inhibitors may lead to a dangerous drug interaction. Some medications can interact with hydrocodone, resulting in a serious condition known as serotonin syndrome.
Make sure your doctor is aware of any medications you are taking for depression, mental illness, Parkinson’s disease, migraine headaches, serious infections, or nausea and vomiting prevention.
Tell your doctor before you make any changes to how or when you take your medicines. To make sure hydrocodone/acetaminophen or Lortab is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- Cirrhosis, liver disease
- Kidney disease
- A history of alcoholism or drug addiction
- Inflammatory bowel disease, bowel obstruction, diarrhea, severe constipation
- Low blood pressure
- A history of head injury, brain tumor, or stroke
- COPD, sleep apnea, asthma, or other breathing disorders
- If you use a sedative like Valium, including alprazolam, lorazepam, diazepam, Ativan, Klonopin, Tranxene, Restoril, Xanax, Versed, etc
Lortab is more likely to cause breathing issues in older people and those who are severely ill, malnourished, or otherwise disabled. If you use narcotic medication while pregnant, your baby may become addicted to the drug.
This may cause life-threatening withdrawal symptoms in the baby after it is born. Babies who are born dependent on habit-forming medicine may require medical attention for several weeks. Acetaminophen and hydrocodone can enter the breast milk and harm a nursing infant. Do not breastfeed if you are taking Lortab.
How to take Lortab?
Take Lortab by mouth as directed by your doctor. Follow all of the instructions on your prescription label. Never take Lortab in larger doses or for a longer time than prescribed. Overdose can harm your liver or even cause death. Inform your doctor if the medication appears to be no longer effective in relieving your pain. Hydrocodone may be habit-forming.
Never give Lortab to anyone else, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Misuse of narcotics can result in addiction, overdose, or death. It is illegal to sell or distribute Lortab. However, you can order Lortab online if you have a prescription. Measure Lortab liquid with a special dose-measuring spoon or medicine cup or with the dosing syringe provided.
Ask your pharmacist for one if you do not have a dose-measuring device. You should inform your doctor in advance that you are using Lortab if you need surgery or medical tests. You may have to stop using this medication for a short time.
Do not suddenly stop using Lortab after long-term use, or you could have unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Ask your doctor about how to stop using this medicine safely.
The dosage for adults is one tablet every four to six hours as needed for pain. The total daily dosage should not be more than 6 tablets.
An overdose of hydrocodone and acetaminophen can be fatal. The symptoms of an acetaminophen overdose include loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, sweating, and confusion or weakness. Later symptoms may include dark urine, pain in your upper stomach, and yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
What to avoid while using Lortab?
- This medicine can affect your thinking or reactions. Do not drive or use machinery until you know how Lortab affects you.
- Taking certain products together can result in an overdose of acetaminophen, which can be fatal. Before taking any other cold, allergy, pain, or sleep medication, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
- Avoid drinking alcohol with this medicine. Consuming alcohol while taking acetaminophen may increase your risk of liver damage.
Lortab side effects
Common Lortab side effects include:
- Blurred vision
- Upset stomach, constipation
- Drowsiness, headache
- Dry mouth
Serious side effects
- Slow heartbeat
- Shallow breathing
- A light-headed feeling
- Unusual thoughts or behavior, confusion
- Seizure or convulsions
- Easy bruising or bleeding
- Missed menstrual periods, infertility
- Sexual problems, impotence, loss of interest in sex
- Liver problems- including symptoms such as upper stomach pain, itching, nausea, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice
- Low cortisol levels- symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, dizziness, worsening tiredness or weakness
Acetaminophen can rarely cause a severe skin reaction that can be fatal. Even if you had acetaminophen in the past and had no reaction, this could happen. Stop taking Lortab and contact your doctor immediately if you develop skin redness or a rash that spreads and causes blistering and peeling.
You should never take any drug again that contains acetaminophen if you have this kind of reaction. This drug may cause serotonin syndrome. The symptoms may include hallucinations, agitation, fever, shivering, sweating, fast heart rate, twitching, muscle stiffness, loss of coordination, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
What drugs can interact with Lortab?
Opioids can interact with many other drugs and cause dangerous side effects or death. Be sure your doctor is aware if you also use:
- Other narcotics - opioid pain medicine or prescription cough medicine
- Drugs that make you sleepy or slow your breathing - sleeping pills, muscle relaxants, sedatives, tranquilizers, or antipsychotic medicines
- Drugs that affect serotonin levels in your body - medication for depression, Parkinson’s disease, migraine headaches, serious infections, or prevention of nausea and vomiting